GETTING AROUND THE ISLAND
St. Croix is an island located in the U.S. Virgin Islands. In order to explore the sights and see everything it has to offer, it would be a great idea to rent a car once you’ve arrived on the island.
The average taxi ride costs about $25 and takes around 45 minutes to arrive once the call has been made.
Transportation is available in the form of buses and vans if you need to move around between the University of the Virgin Islands and the other towns on the island. Their services are also available for use within the towns themselves. These VITRAN busses and taxi vans are located at some street corners and bus shanties, and are offered at a price of $1 to $2.
If you would like more information, see Visit USVI and VI moving Center.
The Melvin Evans Highway will be needed in order to move around from Christiansted, UVI, and Frederiksted to get to the previous Good Hope School Savage Theater where the play will be located.
From Christiansted to:
- UVI — Head west on Company St. and make a right on Time Square St., making sure to stay on the left hand side.
After driving 100 feet, turn left and continue west to the Bassin Triangle stoplight.
Continue west and make a right turn on the Golden Rock Shopping Center stoplight.
Turn left on the Five Corner Intersection.
After about five miles, drive to the bottom of Morning Star Road and head south to the LaRaine Shopping Center stoplight. Turn right onto Queen Mary Highway /Centerline Road.
Continue past two stoplights and once you get to the third stoplight, turn left to get to UVI.
From Airport to:
- Arawak Hotel: Head east on Highway 64 from the Henry Rohlsen Airport.
Make a left turn onto Melvin H. Evans Highway/Route 66 and then another left turn onto Route 75.
At the Morning Star Corner, turn left and proceed onto Northshore Road/Route 80.
After driving inward on Route 80, you can look to the left-hand side to locate the Arawak Inn and then turn onto Salt River Bay.
- The Buccaneer: Turn left at the airport exit, making sure to stay on the left-hand side.
Make a right turn onto Melvin Evans Highway/Route 66, keeping on the left-hand side.
You will pass through five stoplights, and the highway number will become Route 70.
Stay on Route 70 for about 5 minutes, which will take you to the stoplight located at the bottom of the hill.
Keep going straight and onto the bypass.
After reaching the second stoplight, make a right turn onto East End Rd #82 and continue down this road until you get to the Buccaneer entry, which will be on your left.
- C’sted: Head east on Highway 64, continue on Melvin Evans Highway or Route 66. Take Centerline Road/Queen Mary Highway, Route 70 and King Street to Church Street then right onto Church Street in Christiansted.
Drive east on Highway 64 and continue onto Melvin Evans Highway/Route 66.
Head onto the Centerline Road/Queen Mary Highway/Route 70.
Take King St. and make a right turn onto Church St. in Christiansted.
- UVI: Turn left at the airport exit, passing the race track and staying on the left side until you reach the intersection with the stoplight.
Make a left turn onto Melvin Evan Highway, and continue until the first stoplight.
Turn right towards Public Safety, and keep left until you get to the intersection near Public Safety. Turn left on this intersection and continue until you reach the Queen Mary Highway intersection.
Turn right and head east towards the stoplight, then make another right turn at the RTP park and head straight.
From UVI to:
- Arawak– Turn right onto Queen Mary Highway/Route 70 at the UVI stoplight.
Making sure to stay on the left, head onto Route 70, then pass two stoplights.
Make a left turn before the third stoplight, and then head onto Route 75.
At Morning Star Corner, keep left and then head onto Northshore Road/Route 80.
Stay on Route 80 until you reach the Arawak Inn, which will be on your left.
- The Buccaneer– Turn right on the UVI stoplight, onto Queen Mary Highway/Route 70.
Making sure to stay on the left, continue for 20 min. and head toward King St. and make a right turn onto Church St. in Christiansted.
Continue on the left for about 5 min. until you reach the Buccaneer Hotel, which will be on your left.
- Fort Frederik– Turn left on the UVI stoplight, and head west onto the Queen Mary Highway/Route 70 continuing past three stoplights.
The fourth stoplight will be located before a gas station, which is where you will make a right.
Keeping on the left-hand side, head north for two miles and turn left at Fredriksted’s Post Office.
Continue past two intersections and then turn right onto King’s St., making sure to stay on the left.
When you reach the end of King’s St., you will see a children’s park to your right and Fort Fredrick will be to your left.
- F’sted– Make a left turn at the UVI stoplight, and make sure to stay on the left side of the road.
Go west on Queen Mary Highway/Route 70 and continue past three stoplights.
The fourth stoplight will be located before a gas station, turn right.
Making sure to stay on the left, drive north for two miles before making a left turn at the Fredriksted’s Post Office.
After passing two intersections, turn right on King’s Street.
- C’sted – Make a right turn at the UVI stoplight, onto Queen Mary Highway/Route 70.
Keep on the left side and drive for 20 min. Before turning left on Constitution Hill.
Continue for 200 ft. And then turn right when you get to the Police Station stoplight.
Making sure to stay on the left, continue for 200 ft. Until you reach King Street Christiansted.
- Savage Theatre Good Hope School– Make a left turn at the UVI stoplight and keep on the left side.
Continue for 200 ft. and then turn left on Golden Grove St.
Drive south and continue past 10 speed bumps, then turn right on the Department of Motor Pool.
Keep on the left and turn right to make your way onto Melvin H. Evans Highway.
Continue past three stoplights and turn left on Whim’s, then continue driving for 20 ft. and turn right on Good Hope School.
Making sure to stay on the left, continue for 200 ft. and turn left onto Savage Theatre.
From F’sted to:
- UVI – Head south on King St. From Fredriksted town and turn left. Continue east toward Fredriksted’s Post Office.
Before reaching the Post Office, turn right and head south for two miles, then turn left at the stoplight onto Queen Mary Highway/Route 70.
Drive east past three stoplights, and turn right on the fourth light to where the UVI is located.